Pancakes may be pretty basic, but little changes can make a big difference. The addition of whole wheat flour ads really nice nuttiness to this recipe, and the vanilla is a subtle but delicious addition to these fluffy, buttery breakfast favorites.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, 4 tbsp melted and cooled, 1 tbsp reserved for the pan
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (optional) these could also be bananas, chocolate chips or any filling of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2. Whisk together both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until just combined,set aside
3. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and the melted butter.
4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Batter will be thick and will still have some lumps. Set aside to rest while you heat the pan.
5. Heat a griddle or heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat for one to two minutes until hot. Add the remaining butter to the pan, and with a clean paper towel rub the butter over the bottom of the pan to evenly coat, removing the excess. Save the paper towel to reapply butter in between batches.
6. Using a half cup measure, add pancake batter (two at a time if you have the room in the pan) to the hot skillet, adding several blueberries (if using) and cook until the bottom is brown and bubbles pop on the surface and leave air holes rather than filling in with batter, 2-3 minutes, depending on the heat of your pan. Flip the pancake and cook for a 2-3 minutes on the other side until evenly browned and cooked through. Remove pancake to a plate and keep warm in the oven until the other pancakes are finished. Use the buttered paper towel to coat the bottom of the skillet with butter and repeat cooking until you have used all the batter.
7. Serve the pancakes with butter and syrup or toppings of your choice, enjoy!